Sunday, September 16, 2018

Beau's Broken Arm

Well, it's official, we have our first broken bone in the Pierson household. Wednesday night after we got home from mini-putt, Beau and Baine wanted to go outside and play for a little bit since it was so nice out. So I put Piper to bed and went to lay down (since I was still sick), and Joe took the boys out to play with the neighbors. About 15 minutes later I get a phone call from Joe saying "Hospital. NOW!" I went running outside to find Joe running back to our yard with Beau in his arms, and Beau's left arm is just dangling like over cooked spaghetti. It looked dislocated for sure. But Beau wasn't crying at all, so I didn't think it was broken or anything severe. Joe quickly put Beau in my car and I rushed Beau to Pella ER. As soon as we had Beau checked in, they did an x-ray and immediately told us his humerus was snapped in half. He needed surgery ASAP and Pella couldn't do it. So to keep Beau's pain under control and to monitor him, they sent Beau (and me with him) up to Mercy in Des Moines by ambulance. I was incredibly nervous for Beau, but he was so brave and strong and didn't even seem scared. At this point, he still hadn't cried! When we got to Mercy, they had a surgeon come in and had to reduce his bones. Which basically means they had to put Beau under and snap his bone back into place before they could do surgery, because it was too far out. Beau was able to sleep a little before the next morning (it was almost 2 am by the time we were checked into a room). The next day, Beau had to have surgery by Dr. Farber. As soon as Beau heard the words surgery, that's when his tears came for the very first time. He was very scared and nervous and kept talking about Nana. My heart was shattered and it took every once in me to hold it together and not let Beau see me upset. But with many prayers and support and an amazing surgical team, Beau had a successful surgery. They put 3 pins in his arm and is currently in a splint. Next week Beau will go to get a cast put on, since they couldn't right away due to the swelling. I am beyond proud of Beau with how brave and strong he was. He has yet to complain and is already adjusting to doing things with one-hand. I pray for a fast recovery and that his elbow will heal appropriately.





Watching a movie in the ambulance 








No comments:

Post a Comment