Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The Love of Teaching

This year has been my most exhausting year teaching so far. Not because I have 3 kids. Not because I'm on every committee at school under the sun. Not because I coach. Not because of our cray, busy schedule. But because I have put more mental effort into my job than I ever had to before. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to make it to work this year given the past summer. I truly believe teaching is one of the those rare careers that if you are not in it whole-heartedly, you should not teach. That simple. So I made a promise to myself that if I chose to come back this year, I would not let any of my 100 students down. It's not fair to them. So everyday, I have to mentally prepare myself for the day, get myself on a positive level, learn to not let the "mom" comments bother me, and learn to just let go. Teaching can be so emotional. The lives many of my students lead are unthinkable. And when you have felt disrespected all day long, you start to feel deflated and that you are failing at your job. Until you have a student, all it takes is just one student, to let you know what you do matters. 
Our 7th grade students had to pick a person in their life that has inspired them somehow. And one of my students who does not have the kind of life most of us know, wrote about me. I will forever remember this moment in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment