Sunday, December 3, 2017

Friendsgiving/Converse Thanksgiving

On Thanksgiving Day, we went and had breakfast at my dads then we were home all day with no plans. Since our good friends Alex and Gina didn't have plans either, they came in to spend the day with us. Since it was a hard day without my mom, we  tried relaxing, having fun and just spending time together. My dad didn't go as well, but I knew it was going to be rough.









On Saturday, we had our Converse Thanksgiving at my mom's. My mom LOVED hosting all of our family holidays at her house and that is the first place we have all be together as a family in nearly 15 years or more. Right after mom passed, we all agreed we would keep having our family get togethers at moms. She would want that. And I know she is smiling down knowing we are following her wishes and trying our damn best to keep this family together.
It was hard having everyone, almost everyone, together for the first time since mom's funeral. It was one less table setting we needed. The food wasn't as good, but it was still delicious. There wasn't as much laughter. It just wasn't the same. But this is our new life. We have to accept it. We have to move on. We have to learn to live this way and keep living our life. 
Joe, Shawn, Caleb and I did most of the cooking at moms in the afternoon. We didn't want Dennis home alone, and I just wanted to cook in mom's kitchen. I always loved walking into her house, seeing her cooking in her dream kitchen and making food far better than I could ever make myself. I was hoping I would feel her with me as I cooked, but I didn't. And that's ok. Maybe at Christmas I will. 
We weren't going to do our traditional "What are we thankful for" in a circle, but we did anyways at the end of the night. Clint said the absolute sweetest thing EVER about Tara and Regan, and that alone made me incredibly proud of him.  Dennis was thankful that "he had a wife he loved so much that it hurts this bad". And that right there, was the rawest, most honest and sweetest thing I had heard. Even though most think this year has been horrible, Joe and I are still grateful for the beginning of 2017 because we were finally blessed with our little girl. Piper has most definitely been the light in this storm and I can truthfully say, she has been the main reason that has helped keep me alive and going throughout the past few months.





















No comments:

Post a Comment