Sunday, March 20, 2016

Issac Hoven: A Heart of Gold

     Last week was the hardest week I have ever had in my teaching career, by far.  One of my sweet, smart, loving, compassionate students was killed in an accident last Saturday evening. I received a phone call that night letting me know so I wouldn't have to hear about it via social media. I instantly was sick to my stomach. Not only was this a student of mine, but his mom teaches with me at school. I instantly thought of Beau and Baine, and wanted to get to them as soon as I could to hold them and never let go.
     Isaac was such a free spirit. He didn't care what people thought of him and made no excuses for who he was. He had such a great faith in God, and was always open to talk about it at school with his peers. His favorite fashion statement was to wear slicky pants with a polo shirt. That was Isaac. A totally awesome kid, who wasn't afraid to show exactly who he was, and didn't care what others thought of him. I will never forget the last conversation I had with Isaac. It was the last Thursday, at the very end of 8th period, right before the bell rang. The students were putting their chairs up and anxious to leave for spring break.  A few students were gathered at my desk to share their weekend plans, including Isaac. A classmate said to Isaac "you are kinda weird you know". Isaac simply replied, "Wouldn't the world be such a boring place if there were no weird people in it?" He then told me "Have a great weekend Mrs. P! See you next week!".  And that was it.  That was the last moment I had with Isaac. The last chance I would have to see his bright, shining smile that always brought laughter and joy into my classroom.  The last time his classmates would have their goofy, funny friend to share stories with. The last time Isaac would ever make my "Top 20" list.
     2 weeks ago was the end of the trimester. Isaac had been working hard all year to make my "Top 20" list. And honestly, he definitely could have been on it the whole year if he wanted :)  Right before Isaac passed, he made "Mrs. P's Top 20".  He was SO EXCITED! He asked me if he could take a picture of it, and of course I said yes. He will now and for the rest of the year, remain on my Top 20 list.
     Issac you are loved and will be missed by many. I believe with my whole heart that you are in Heaven looking down on us now. I pray you guide your family and give them signs you are still here and looking after them. Your heart was definitely made of gold, as you were a donor and are now saving other lives.  We miss you, and definitely will never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment