Sunday, January 14, 2018

A Quilt to Help Remember

I had been wanting to do something special for my sister for a few months to help her mourn the loss of our mom. I saw this idea of a quilt made from your loved one's clothes. I knew immediately that's what I wanted to do for Brook since her and I both love to snuggle with blankets. Cindy Voss, the mother in law of our friend Emmy, had offered to make this quilt. She did such a beautiful job and it is absolutely perfect. I gave Brook her quilt on Christmas morning, and I think she loved it. 

Cindy was able to have enough material to make me a matching quilt as well. Michelle and Scott had given me an incredibly sweet card at Christmas with a note in it explaining they wanted to pay for a quilt for me and wanted me to always remember my mom with it. Of all of the gifts I could have possibly gotten at Christmas: clothes, shoes, etc, this was the most meaningful. I will always remember the exact outfit of my mom's from the material on this quilt, and even when I saw her wearing it last. It has her favorite Ralph Lauren shirts on it, her favorite floral pants from Von Maur, her brown dress she wore to Brook's wedding, her sharp black and silver jacket that she just wore last Christmas. My favorite piece, is the Andale's t-shirt square. My mom loved going to Puerto Vallarta. Her and Dennis loved it so much, they ended up buying a time-share there. We would go there all of the time for spring break. I am never going to forget the last time we were in Puerto Vallarta together. My mom wanted to go to Andales, her favorite bar, where you can ride a donkey throughout the bar. She also loved the bar even more lately because her favorite Real Housewife, Vicki, is now part owner of the bar :). Anyways, one night my mom was feeling frisky if you will and decided to do shots with us. Keep in mind, my mom NEVER drinks, and if she does, it would be one drink and definitely does not get drunk. EVER. Well, this night she did. On accident I know, but it was the greatest night we had all had in quite a while and a memory I will never forgot. My mom enjoyed too many drinks with me, and from the waitress too ;) (a story I should not share on here) and then my mom rode the donkey. Now, every time I have looked at this quilt I always smile just thinking about this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment